中国体彩发布的官方app For One World Travel Grant Program
中国体彩发布的官方app For One World Travel Grant Program
In association with Techiman Learning Resource Centre and the Ayi Owen International School, Ghana
For One World, a US-based nonprofit organization, is seeking to award two travel grants to teach at the Ayi Owen International School in Techiman, Ghana, West Africa over the 中国体彩发布的官方app Summer. This is an excellent opportunity to gain international experience teaching in English at an innovative school in a developing country中国体彩发布的官方app.
About For One World: http://www./
- 10 Ridgewood Drive Old Saybrook, CT 06475
- Federal Nonprofit organization that promotes understanding and solutions of educational problems in less developed countries.
- Founded in 1997. Granted Federal non-profit status in 2002.
- For One World gratefully accepts tax deductible donations.
About Ayi Owen International School:
- Box 252, House 200, Takofiano, Techiman, Brong Ahafo, Ghana, West Africa
- More than 400 enrolled students (50% boys/girls) and 35 teachers;
- Grades K – 9 with 10 classrooms, ages 2 – 15
- School is operated under the local nonprofit called Techiman Learning Resource Center by Bill and Ayisatu Owen
- School prides itself on its counseling of pupils and student government
Travel grant winners will be provided with a shared apartment on the school compound with access to running water, bathrooms, kitchens, tennis, volleyball and basketball courts plus broadband internet via Wifi. Cost of accommodations at volunteer quarters is covered by For One World (value of $500).
The Ghanaian founder and her American spouse have developed the school over the past twenty years that uses interactive instruction, hands-on projects, and interdisciplinary lessons and online mathematics to prepare students to excel on the Ghanaian national middle school examinations. Travel grant winners will have opportunities to meet chiefs and high-ranking members of local government as well as explore the local culture, music, religions, health centers and markets.
While the involvement with the school is the first priority, grant winners are welcome to pursue additional projects with a broader impact, as well as make short trips to visit exciting destinations throughout Ghana.
Eligible candidates must be attending an accredited university as a full-time student or be a recent graduate. All degree levels will be considered. International experience is not required but an open mind and a willingness to experience new cultures is a must!
The travel grant is provided in association with the Techiman Learning Resource Centre and the Ayisatu Owen Schools Llc.
See our website for more information –http://TravelGrant.
2019 Travel Grant Details and Dates:
- Up to two travel grants are offered for a 2-3 month duration departing for Ghana in May/June 2018.
- Each candidate’s arrival date in Ghana needs to be aligned/coordinated such that transportation is shared from the airport to the school.
- The grant application deadline is February 26, 中国体彩发布的官方app. Grant winners and one “runner up” will be notified by March 4, 中国体彩发布的官方app. Grant winner(s) is required to accept or decline by March 11, 中国体彩发布的官方app. If a grant winner declines, the “runner up” will be notified.
- Grant winners are required to document their trip and create a journal/essay of their experience and submit a final summarizing report. All successful candidates’ essays and follow up research may be posted on the For One World’s website or Facebook page.
- The total grant amount awarded to the winner(s) is $1,000 (which is meant to offset most of the cost of flight)
|Ayisatu Owen International School compared to local educational landscape:|
|Ayi Owen School:·
· 20 to 1 student/teacher ratio;
· Basic computer lab with 30 computers; Wifi
· School libraries and reading competitions;
. Term research projects
· Basic lab science program with science expos;
· Cultural arts/drama/music program;
· Physical education (PE) program with girls and boys soccer, volleyball, tennis, basketball;
. Term talent shows
· Multi-acre school site opened in 2007.
|Educational situation in surrounding area:·
· 50+ to 1 student/teacher ratio;
· Few use computers as learning tools;
· Virtually no school libraries or classroom reading;
· Majority of basic schools fail to provide quality education despite well-trained graduate teachers;
· Rare to find effective learning/teaching techniques;
· Arts, drama, and music programs are limited; and few physical education programs other than soccer;
· After graduating, most students score no better than random guessing on standardized tests;
About the Program Hosts
Wilfred “Bill” Owen; Founder:
- Bill Owen holds a Ph. D. in Educational Administration from Northwestern University, Evanston. He speaks Twi (local language in Ghana) and is a consultant to USAID.
- Bill and his wife Ayisatu “Ayi” or “Mmaa” live onsite and adjacent to volunteer quarters.
- 中国体彩发布的官方appPhone 233 243-370-547, Bill@
Ayisatu “Ayi” Owen; Founder:
- Ayi currently is the parent-teacher liaison and manages much of the pre-school and primary school activities as well as the scholarship program to needy youth and orphans.
- Ayi is Ghanaian, and speaks 15 languages.
Getting to Techiman:
- Fly into Accra airport (For One World will cover up to $1,000 toward round trip flight)
- Escorted car service from airport to Techiman by your host or alternate transportation covered by For One World. (It is a day’s drive from Accra to Techiman.)
- One night’s accommodation in Accra covered by For One World on return trip.
For references and additional information, please contact any of the following board members:
For One World Travel Grant Application
Candidates should email this application page and the related personal statement to travelgrant@ or complete the application by February 26, 中国体彩发布的官方app in order to be considered.
Name: ___________________________ Date: _________________
City: ______________________ State:___________
Best Telephone Number to reach you: _______________________
Alternative Telephone Number, if any: _______________________
Name/中国体彩发布的官方appPhone number of parent/guardian: ____________________
Please list two references. Please include one personal and one professional/academic
contact. The academic contact will act as your sponsor and receive a copy of your final project report.
Name 中国体彩发布的官方appPhone Email
Name 中国体彩发布的官方appPhone Email
Travel Grant Qualifications
-Candidate must be attending an accredited college/university as a full-time student or be a recent graduate. All degree levels will be considered.
-International experience is not required but an open mind and a willingness to experience new culture is a must!
-Teachers and education professionals are also welcome to apply. Please indicate on your application that you are not currently attending college/university.
(1) Please describe your educational background, any academic or work experience you would like us to consider, and your international travel experience, if any.
(2) Write one to two pages about why you would like to volunteer at Ayisatu International School and which of the seven potential projects described below you would be most interested in, should you be awarded the scholarship. You may write about more than one project. You are also welcome to propose a project not listed below. More often than not, volunteers are involved in multiple aspects of improving education of the students and teachers in and after school. You will have opportunities to meet chiefs and local government officials. Your involvement with the school is the first priority, but you are welcome to propose additional projects with a broader impact, i.e., public health, town sports, environmental protection, IT consulting.
(3) Please describe how your project and/or involvement in the school and For One World will outlive your stay in Ghana.
- English writing/composition program needs a revised curriculum that includes persuasive essays, research-based essays and laboratory writing, in addition to its current story and creative writing format. Attention to basic reading skills is still needed, including coaching and tutoring students who lack confidence regarding their comprehension when reading English. Library management, reading clubs and other methods for linking reading with media such as cinema, photography, music, dance, and prayer.
- Early childhood development education specialist is needed to provide in-service training for teachers in the elementary school and preschool. (Possible training topics include phonics, word processing skills with graphics, and working with tactile materials like painting, colors and music.)
- Math program could be improved by giving more attention to games, methods, and exercises. In addition, a math lab program needs to be designed and organized to supplement the current lecture format. This effort should focus on 3rd – 7th graders.
- Expressive art is one of the things that we encourage at the school. More drawing, painting and even dancing, singing and drama would be priority activities. Organize a drama program to introduce students to the performing arts as well as media and film. Students at the school are interested in acting and skit re-enactment but there is little formal direction in this respect.
- Hands-on science projects to provide the children with first-hand experience on the beauty of finding facts and the art of experimentation.
- Computer curriculum needs integration with classroom learning. Online materials and CDs for math, English, and other subjects are currently being used but not yet integrated effectively to the school curriculum. Fresh ideas on how to integrate computers and smart phones into primary school learning are needed. Training for Microsoft Office applications is needed for students and teachers (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) as well as improved instruction in keyboarding.
- Reinforce the counseling approach to pupils, in particular, by improving the teacher-student relationship. Some ways this could be achieved are through extra-curricular clubs, such as football, aviation, scripture and drama clubs, that act as a platform for counseling and training in mental toughness, nutrition, sexual reproductive health and career guidance.